FH Awareness Day
FH Awareness Day was established in 2012 by the Family Heart Foundation to raise awareness of familial hypercholesterolemia worldwide. This annual event is held on September 24th, during National Cholesterol Education Month. Together, we raise our voices to help everyone #KnowFH.
Why it's Important
Early diagnosis > Early Treatment > Saves Lives
Millions of people around the world do not know that they and their families are at severe risk for early heart disease, heart attacks, and even death. Seven out of ten people born today with familial hypercholesterolemia are undiagnosed. Yet, with early diagnosis and treatment, individuals diagnosed with FH can reduce their risk for heart disease by 70%.
Together we can raise awareness, find every individual with FH, and prevent early heart disease:
• FH is one of the most common genetic condition that causes high cholesterol. It is not caused by the food you eat.
• 1.3 million people in the U.S., and 30 million people worldwide, have FH. Only 30% are diagnosed.
• If left untreated, FH leads to heart attacks, coronary heart disease, and even death in the prime of life.
• 1 in 5 heart attacks in people under 45 are caused by FH.
• FH is a family condition. If you have FH, each of your first-degree relatives (parents, siblings, children) has a 50% chance of inheriting it.
• In many cases, people with FH get misdiagnosed and do not receive the care they need. If you suspect you have FH, please consult your healthcare provider or find a lipid specialist.
Take action today and help millions living with FH
Social Media and Printable Content
Below you will find this year's content for FH Awareness Day! Download and share on your Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter to spread the word. Or print and post them in your clinic or local coffee house.
- Social Posts (Twitter/Facebook and Instagram)
- Tweet-a-Thon Social Promotion (Twitter/Facebook and Instagram)
- Infographics and Posters
- FH Personal Stories
Join us for the FH Awareness Day Tweet-a-Thon on September 24th!
Our annual FH Awareness Day Tweet-a-Thon is on September 24th at 12:00 pm ET / 9:00 am PT! Tweet and retweet to get the word out and help families discover a hidden cause of hereditary heart disease and stroke. Use the hashtag #KnowFH. Click here to learn more about our annual Tweet-a-Thons.
Hear from real individuals living with Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) and/or Homozygous FH (HoFH). Read and share to raise awareness of this hidden genetic condition. Check back in as we will be sharing a new FH or HoFH story each week!
Webinar – Getting to you LDL-C Goal & Staying There: Why is it So Important?
FH Awareness Day
FH Awareness Day Tweetathon
Video Podcast Recording release: Why FH Diagnosis Matters
A conversation with Dr. Keith Ferdinand and Chad Gradney
The purpose of the Family Heart FH Awareness Day Tool Kit is to help volunteers and partners raise awareness of Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH).
These materials are intended for use as is and cannot be altered without written permission from the Family Heart Foundation.
By using this Tool Kit, you agree to:
- include the Family Heart Foundation logo
- credit all patient stories to the Family Heart Foundation and retain the identification of Family Heart Foundation Advocates for Awareness
- refrain from altering any of the materials — e.g. graphics, videos and social media posts, stories — without written permission from the Family Heart Foundation, this includes:
- removing the Family Heart Foundation logo
- adding your organization’s logo
- changing the copy
- swapping or adding images
- adhere to copyright guidelines and style guide